Oakland Church of the Nazarene was founded in 1958 and has been blessed to continue to grow through outreach and the efforts of our members to reach others.
History of Oakland Church of the Nazarene
1958 - We were "planted" by Cedar Rapids First Church of the Nazarene. Our first worship services were held in the Boots' home with 19 charter members.
1959 - We moved into our first church building on 29th Street near Oakland Road.
1972 - We purchased a nine-acre plot of land on 42nd Street near Kennedy High School. During construction of the new facility, we met at Bowman Woods Elementary School.
1976 - We moved to our current location at 3000 42nd Street NE.
1970's and 80's - We enjoyed a thriving bus ministry.
Mid-1980's - We constructed an addition that included a fellowship hall and classroom space.
2007 - We completed a multi-purpose Ministry Center with a teen wing and nursery.
In those years:
Dozens of young people have been called into ministry through our church.
Oakland has had 10 Senior Pastors and 14 Assistant Pastors.
Our church is currently one of the largest Nazarene Churches in Iowa