History

History of Oakland Church of the Nazarene

  • 1958 - We were "planted" by Cedar Rapids First Church of the Nazarene. Our first worship services were held in the Boots' home with 19 charter members.
  • 1959 - We moved into our first church building on 29th Street near Oakland Road.
  • 1972 - We purchased a nine-acre plot of land on 42nd Street near Kennedy High School. During construction of the new facility, we met at Bowman Woods Elementary School.
  • 1976 - We moved to our current location at 3000 42nd Street NE.
  • 1970's and 80's - We enjoyed a thriving bus ministry.
  • Mid-1980's - We constructed an addition that included a fellowship hall and classroom space.
  • 2007 - We completed a multi-purpose Ministry Center with a teen wing and nursery.

In those years:

  • Dozens of young people have been called into ministry through our church.
  • Oakland has had 10 Senior Pastors and 14 Assistant Pastors.
  • Our church is currently the largest Nazarene Church in Iowa.